Skip to main content

The Bastard

 It was a spectacle. 


The bone-headed dinosaur charged, braying, all of the weight of its body aligned behind a battering ram for a face. It’s turn was violent, quick— one of the dromeosaurs was caught— tried to fling itself sideways, an elegant leg thrown out awkwardly from horizontal stance. Too late. It’s shrill keening whistle was broken off by sudden, concussive impact as nearly a ton of muscle and bone slammed forward. Even from here I could hear the ugly snap of bone. The dromeosaurs were athletic to be sure but with that came lightweight bones, fragile sinews that with enough force could be buckled, crushed. This was no different, and in a heap the predator came down, limbs bent, shattered as the pacheycphalosaur followed through in phalanx charge. 


When it whipped around to face the remaining attackers I saw crimson streaks splashed over its vermillion beak, golden snout. It panted, flanks heaving. I held back a cheer. The stubborn bastard wasn’t done, not yet. 


But neither were it’s attackers, it seemed. They kept their whistling and chirping, it seemed to grow even louder with the death of their comrade. Crimson colored jaws flashed forward, barking, needle-teeth cutting small but bloody gouges into the herbivores sides. The Bastard (my name for him) would bark and charge, whirling in quick flourishes, throwing his domed head forward. Fewer and fewer hits connected as time went on. I felt my stomach drop. Watched on in macabre interest, studied how the theropod hunters wouldn’t slash with their curving killer toes (too delicate?), but instead with their hand talons, swiping and slashing before hopping back. It was so eerie, so birdlike. Their energy was seemingly boundless, their tenacity coldly calculated and formidable, all the while the Bastard would responde less, and less, and less.. 


When my Cretaceous knight hit the dirt, he looked dazed. His eyes under their shield-like furrows were glazed, subdued. He did not kick when the claws began to pin him down. The dinosaur barely even barked as speedy crimson jaws began to pluck and bite and yank. 


They ate him alive as the sun sank. I shivered despite the heat. 


All night in the pitch darkness, I could hear the whistling. Like wordless, singing voices declaring one thing and one thing only. 


Victory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Cadillac

  ”Please keep all hands and in feet inside the ride at all times! Please do not—“ Conrad and Lucy didn’t pay any attention. The Time Cadillac ride always started the same way. And they were too busy all over each other, submerged as deep in youthful needs as the Cadillac was submerged in deep time.  Conrad was already kissing Lucy again, breathless and with too much saliva as the slick, black car slowly rolled over a desolate landscape that would’ve fit Hell or the airless Moon than Earth. Lucy ran her hands through her boyfriends short, combed brown hair, feeling the car lurch a little. Far away came lightning flashing beneath cataclysmic looking clouds all purple, bruised, and furious looking. She glimpsed jagged landscape burbling,  saw the eerie monoliths of volcanic happenstance which poured streamers of superheated gases into impossibly thin air. For a full ten minutes they rode over different variations: fire, ice, black blistering sands— even a sea bottom, flat a...

The Tall Grass

 Evan sat in the car and looked out into the tall grass.  The dinosaurs were out there . Up and out over the prairie was a vision of ragnarok, all tall clouds black and bruised purple painted by pinkish sunlight as dusk became night. Shadows grew long in the grass and Evan strained looking into it all, eager for a sighting. Even without seeing a thing for nearly thirty minutes— the thrill was there, he could feel it, ancient mammalian fear mixing with modern excitement.  The dinosaurs were out there! Motion, and Evan as well as his fellows in the car instantly turned, making the Jeep rock slightly. It was one of the guides, a tall and lethe woman with dark skin— she was standing. Gazing out to the left off into swaying, pink-tinted grass. Everyone seemed to hold their breath.  She whistled then— or something like a whistle came out— long and thin sounding and oddly metallic. It echoed out into oncoming twilight.  Silence.  The guide looked back at everyone ...

The Dead Sea

 The parched voice calls out from the dark. It caries cracked, wizened words half lost in the desert wind like forgotten tombstones. I do not speak the language being spoken and so I let the words be dragged away into a night by the wind. Someone lies there as I pass. A skeletal thing that the dead might make to mimic the living. Corpse is generous. The thin body is almost just a sketch of limbs, of taut skin pulled over worthless bones, wind-blasted into living mummification by god only knew however many years adrift in the wastes.  They speak again, louder this time. Yet the words are snatched up by an even fiercer gust. I do not look to their hollow, cratered face. I do not care for the sunken eyes that are black as little pools of night. I leave them. Following nothing.  Sand and rock are omnipresent. They are the meaning of this place, the reason. In the dark of the night I weave between huge, wide-backed dunes. In the dark of the night I pass beneath stone spires so...