Skip to main content

The Moons that Hunters Must Walk

 The Five Moons claim the sky with blood and cosmic violence. Crimson-saffron light splashes across the huge storm clouds beneath their fierce visages, and turns the world eerie. Dreamlike.

Haskes, the Moon of Windfall. Storms curl into whirlwind frenzies across the bone-colored face. It is the place of howling furies and hellish nightmares, where hunters must walk across the Stormchasm to stand strong against endless wind-- or be thrown into bottomless abyss.

Ahnios, the Moon of Waves. Hunters know the Tidesong, a deep welling howl of sorrow and exultance, the song to be sung out when those worthy sailed out across tsunamis vast enough to sunder continents into crushing abyss. A moon of an ocean untamed, beautiful, and unforgiving.

Khinq, the Moon of Dunes. Those beneath the chaotic sky know the Blood Passage as a time of fear and annihilation, a time when the Moon of Endless Sand has returned from distant void to once again reign among its brethren. Red glows like silent, crawling flame that announce plagues and famines. Crimson moonrises that spawn dark legions, supernatural creatures who devour even our greatest heroes.

Vestrev, the Moon of Ice. All dreams of this place are the same. Bottomless chambers beneath a glassy, frozen sky. Winding, frigid chambers reflective and labyrinthine, echoing with the voices of the damned as trickling water reverberates down, down, down.. Wandering hunters made deranged, savage; haunted by all those who they failed, those wronged in the path to supreme glory. The glaciers are alive and hateful, churning up dark earth in their wake. So many lost beneath and beyond, claimed by unending whiteness.

Xurs, the Black Moon. Onyx on ebony, obsidian on midnight. Darkness so dark that it radiates, burbles like a cauldron of starless night. A shifting surface molted and perfect and without blemish, slipping shades of blackness that makes its spherical width seem to pulse. The Trial that Decides. The Trial without a name-- the Trial without a victor. How many millions, how many billions summoned to the desolate, unforgiving surface.. How many generations more twisted and broken, violent, than the last, standing to face that impossible thing... It is the Moon the hunters pray to. It is the Moon that calls to them. And it is the Moon that holds all of their bones, all their lost and shattered corpses.

I stand before the Moons of Five, splayed out in the sky with their painful harmony. Even now I can feel the gravity pulling. Stretching. My exoskeleton embraces this stimulus, pulls me to their reach. Blood in so many shades coats me, rises in microscopic rivulets up my body to those eager harbingers. Cinom, the Coward-Star, has fled beyond the horizon. Blessed night will rise in its place. And I will ascend.

I am Kreskiss, a hunter.

I will walk the Stormchasm, unafraid of battering hurricanes and seething lightning.
I will sing the Tidesong, swept up on waves broad as mountains, brave trenches bottomless.
I will follow the Blood Passage, stepping between forbidden dunes and withered, ancient bones.
I will plunge into the Glacios, slaying lesser hunters turned into husks by frozen time.
And I will stand on the Black Moon, at the Precipice, looking to what has blessed my people with meaning.
I will win. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lepidopterophobia

You are dying.  Doesn’t matter how.  Feels so far away now— doesn’t it?  That’s it. Take it easy. Let that last breath slip away, like the warmth that comes in a killing cold. Gentle into a silent night. No more looking up at those crowding, concerned faces; a herd of pale, pained moons.  - - - - - ___________ A dark tunnel. Familiar, but not. You’re welcome all the same. Hands groping, grasping against glassy coolness, stumbling—  Light.  The most perfect, pure sunlight. Every idealized summer, every perfect candlelight and warming fire, all that condescend sun-sure dances across a lifetime of days. It’s mere existence is the most pristine invitation. In illumination alone it says come closer . If you had a heartbeat it would be racing.  Up. Up. Forward. Scuffing, almost tripping. Surging forward, hands outstretched.  You’re here.  The Light. The Light   It’s so— wrong . It’s purity vanished, replaced with an organic and oily sheen. Like firefly glows made rotten, morphed in the shape

Something Growing In My Basement

Something is growing in my basement.  Plump and bold red mushrooms coat the stairs like little crimson forests, and through what little light remains I can see their spores drifting. It’s damp, humid.  When it sighs the whole house shakes, my windows rattling by a wind not from outside but *below*.  I dream of horns, black and curving and many, like bony branches thrust up out of the dirt. Crisscrossed by red roots.  The mailman throws my packages, hurls my newspaper. My neighbors eye me and my home like it’s something mad, something hungry, and when I finally sit at the table to read I can’t help but feel that the floor is sinking under my feet. Listing into swallowing earth.  I know soon I’ll wake up, stiff, entombed by so many blood-colored caps. Tenacious roots spilling over me. The thing in my basement will speak instead of sigh and all that rotting wormwood will come down, down, down. And it will be free.

Betty and the Storm

 Betty takes a mercifully long drag on her All-American Stag , feeling the Kansas breeze. It’s a beautiful summer day with big sky country blueness everywhere and only faint, grey-streaked clouds far off on the horizon. Betty loves prairie storms, how they turn her world into blues and blacks cut ragged by hungry lightning. That familiar, lovely earthy smell that lingers even after the clouds have gone southward, down to the more welcomingly humid gulf.  A bit of incoming stormy wind snaps at the clothes on the line and Betty stands sighing and a halfway laconic smile, feeling long hours of chore caused aches lessening with each puff of the Stag . Reaching out a hand to fix one of Teddy’s work shirts, Betty unclips it, hoping to smooth the wrinkles with an absent hand as she turns again to watch the storm roll in.  When Betty sees it, it’s almost slippery in her vision. Like she’s got something in her jade green eyes, something that makes focus hard and dizzying. Betty squints. Scrunch