Skip to main content

Elemental

 Everything is slick, everything is wet, beautiful and vivid in its sheen and the firelight as water tumbles down black stone steps. The illumination dances. Throws phantom red flame over everything that recedes and redoubles crazily. Familiar hands reach out from the passage way, pulling me in. An embrace. Her skin is ivory-pale, smooth as the expertly masoned stone we pass as we go down and down like the very Earth is being unraveled. Pages of history roll pass. 


I hear Warren behind me, praying. Something inside me wants to laugh. He is at the place of the Gods themselves, I think, and he prays to one dead on a cedar! Suggestions of forms spill in and out of the pitch blackness, given shape by our passing torchlight. Human voices, human pleasures, fill the air in their familiar musk and murk and draw. Tangled bodies against rock, metal, glass. 


I have walked countless pilgrimages. To the Rock in its far off desert, to the River of Tears nestled amongst so many fierce mountains, down and across Hagira herself where the fires beneath make the land brighter than the sky and sun. My feet are the worn, battered, hardy soles of someone willing to walk wherever salvation or ascendancy may await. My hands are dark and pocked by ferocious needling insect bites which marked my transition from boy to man. One of my eyes is crimson as wine and blood, it’s pupil twinkling with a gilded cornea. I gave birth once to a thing hard and skeletal and chitinous, a beautiful terrible child that for seven grueling months nursed itself by the very marrows of my spine. Even now, this close to infinity, I hunch with the memory of that pain. 


Abruptness makes me stumble, fall. Skittering to my knees over wet, worn rock. Warm to the touch. Like something alive. Our guide says something guttural and it sounds like so many words in a prayer being strangled, harshly. Warren is silent. My singular-seeing eye tells my mortal brain that the room is vast, that the walls and ceiling are made into sketched abstractions by so much distance. My singular-seeing eye tells my mortal brain that there, here, in this place that unmakes and tangles quivering senses— something is before us. 


Ice. A glacier, a chilling frozen thing splintered into impossibly fine shapes and geometric forms. Rings encircle rings, banners and kites of thin frigid substance layered atop each other with the grace and simplicity of holy texts. Beneath the surface are huge, yawning things. Dark. Mammoth. 


An intention unfurls far into the essence of who I am.  I suddenly understand the hapless fish in their tiny watery kingdoms, overwhelmed by huge disembodied hands sinking upon them to snatch and steal. Tears freeze on my lids, my cheeks. 


The Voice calls. Catastrophic as northern winds. And in the dark beneath the Earth, I can do nothing but listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something Growing In My Basement

Something is growing in my basement.  Plump and bold red mushrooms coat the stairs like little crimson forests, and through what little light remains I can see their spores drifting. It’s damp, humid.  When it sighs the whole house shakes, my windows rattling by a wind not from outside but *below*.  I dream of horns, black and curving and many, like bony branches thrust up out of the dirt. Crisscrossed by red roots.  The mailman throws my packages, hurls my newspaper. My neighbors eye me and my home like it’s something mad, something hungry, and when I finally sit at the table to read I can’t help but feel that the floor is sinking under my feet. Listing into swallowing earth.  I know soon I’ll wake up, stiff, entombed by so many blood-colored caps. Tenacious roots spilling over me. The thing in my basement will speak instead of sigh and all that rotting wormwood will come down, down, down. And it will be free.

Lepidopterophobia

You are dying.  Doesn’t matter how.  Feels so far away now— doesn’t it?  That’s it. Take it easy. Let that last breath slip away, like the warmth that comes in a killing cold. Gentle into a silent night. No more looking up at those crowding, concerned faces; a herd of pale, pained moons.  - - - - - ___________ A dark tunnel. Familiar, but not. You’re welcome all the same. Hands groping, grasping against glassy coolness, stumbling—  Light.  The most perfect, pure sunlight. Every idealized summer, every perfect candlelight and warming fire, all that condescend sun-sure dances across a lifetime of days. It’s mere existence is the most pristine invitation. In illumination alone it says come closer . If you had a heartbeat it would be racing.  Up. Up. Forward. Scuffing, almost tripping. Surging forward, hands outstretched.  You’re here.  The Light. The Light   It’s so— wrong . It’s purity vanished, replaced with an organic and oily sheen. Like firefly glows made rotten, morphed in the shape

Betty and the Storm

 Betty takes a mercifully long drag on her All-American Stag , feeling the Kansas breeze. It’s a beautiful summer day with big sky country blueness everywhere and only faint, grey-streaked clouds far off on the horizon. Betty loves prairie storms, how they turn her world into blues and blacks cut ragged by hungry lightning. That familiar, lovely earthy smell that lingers even after the clouds have gone southward, down to the more welcomingly humid gulf.  A bit of incoming stormy wind snaps at the clothes on the line and Betty stands sighing and a halfway laconic smile, feeling long hours of chore caused aches lessening with each puff of the Stag . Reaching out a hand to fix one of Teddy’s work shirts, Betty unclips it, hoping to smooth the wrinkles with an absent hand as she turns again to watch the storm roll in.  When Betty sees it, it’s almost slippery in her vision. Like she’s got something in her jade green eyes, something that makes focus hard and dizzying. Betty squints. Scrunch