Skip to main content

Reach

 As my father before me, and his before him, I walk the blessed trail. 


The snows whip and slash at exposed skin, the wind threatening to purge flesh into hardened crystal and numbness.


As my father before me, and his before him, I walk the blessed trail. 


My eyes are weak, staring into undulating whiteness, knowing only that I am correct by the ever-dropping temperatures, the ever-screaming squall. 


As my father before me, and his before him, I walk the blessed trail. 


Looming pines and evergreens creak with righteous groans like the instruments of a mighty choir, dancing in place as so much storm threatens to topple their arrogance back down into earth that gave them life. Everything is half formed shapes swallowed up and spat out by the blizzard, by the cold, by the night. There is a moon somewhere in that sky, radiating it’s corpse cold light, and it feeds this chilling assault. 


As my father before me, and his father before him, I follow the blessed path. 


Further. On. On. My feet are lead, my bones made brittle and frigid by piercing cold blades. The storm in my ears is a glorious and painful crescendo, rising, widening until it is all that I know, all that I can feel. The storm is the truth, the storm is the way, and I will walk it, into the oblivion that takes or the ascendancy that gives. 


As my father before me, and his father before him, I walk the blessed path. 


I bear my trophies. Wear the crimson stag antlers, clutch at so many star-metal rosaries clanking and chittering against my throat even as the frozen metal locks my hands in place. The markings painted down each notch in my spine to match the guiding stars. 


As my father before me, and his father before him, I walk the blessed path. 


Silence. 


Squall and snow and white annihilation vanished.


A mountain peak, ancient and endless and black.


The Moon. Close enough to touch.


The voices bless me. The hands of so many come before, the footsteps of those who will have their time. The majesty of silver eternity.


Reach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Cadillac

  ”Please keep all hands and in feet inside the ride at all times! Please do not—“ Conrad and Lucy didn’t pay any attention. The Time Cadillac ride always started the same way. And they were too busy all over each other, submerged as deep in youthful needs as the Cadillac was submerged in deep time.  Conrad was already kissing Lucy again, breathless and with too much saliva as the slick, black car slowly rolled over a desolate landscape that would’ve fit Hell or the airless Moon than Earth. Lucy ran her hands through her boyfriends short, combed brown hair, feeling the car lurch a little. Far away came lightning flashing beneath cataclysmic looking clouds all purple, bruised, and furious looking. She glimpsed jagged landscape burbling,  saw the eerie monoliths of volcanic happenstance which poured streamers of superheated gases into impossibly thin air. For a full ten minutes they rode over different variations: fire, ice, black blistering sands— even a sea bottom, flat a...

The Tall Grass

 Evan sat in the car and looked out into the tall grass.  The dinosaurs were out there . Up and out over the prairie was a vision of ragnarok, all tall clouds black and bruised purple painted by pinkish sunlight as dusk became night. Shadows grew long in the grass and Evan strained looking into it all, eager for a sighting. Even without seeing a thing for nearly thirty minutes— the thrill was there, he could feel it, ancient mammalian fear mixing with modern excitement.  The dinosaurs were out there! Motion, and Evan as well as his fellows in the car instantly turned, making the Jeep rock slightly. It was one of the guides, a tall and lethe woman with dark skin— she was standing. Gazing out to the left off into swaying, pink-tinted grass. Everyone seemed to hold their breath.  She whistled then— or something like a whistle came out— long and thin sounding and oddly metallic. It echoed out into oncoming twilight.  Silence.  The guide looked back at everyone ...

The Dead Sea

 The parched voice calls out from the dark. It caries cracked, wizened words half lost in the desert wind like forgotten tombstones. I do not speak the language being spoken and so I let the words be dragged away into a night by the wind. Someone lies there as I pass. A skeletal thing that the dead might make to mimic the living. Corpse is generous. The thin body is almost just a sketch of limbs, of taut skin pulled over worthless bones, wind-blasted into living mummification by god only knew however many years adrift in the wastes.  They speak again, louder this time. Yet the words are snatched up by an even fiercer gust. I do not look to their hollow, cratered face. I do not care for the sunken eyes that are black as little pools of night. I leave them. Following nothing.  Sand and rock are omnipresent. They are the meaning of this place, the reason. In the dark of the night I weave between huge, wide-backed dunes. In the dark of the night I pass beneath stone spires so...