Skip to main content

Small Town Talk

 They’re real, Al. That Warren boy, what’s his name—


Jeffery. 


Right! That Jeffery boy, he was scared shitless. And they’re good folk out there, Bobby is a vet too, medals and all up on his mantle. Vets don’t raise liars, Al. 


All I’m trying to say is, this Sputnik business has everybody terrified. Chasing their damn tails like sick coyotes. Lights in the sky, cars getting shut off, I mean, would you just listen to yourselves? Ain’t nothing but small town madness.. 


You sure did believe Jenny Saltrin when she came talking about Russians poking around in her backyard..


Hey! Mrs. Saltrin is a very ladylike, very Christian woman, ‘course I checked in when she said she’d seen folks in her yard at night. 



Oh, I bet that’s exactly what you did, Al, always the knight in shining armor. Was Mr. Saltrin there, too? Or out of town again?


Shut it. 


Say.. you two been getting.. odd calls, late at night? Past few nights, very early morning really— we’ve been getting the damndest calls. Phone just rings, and rings, and rings. For awhile I’d finally get my ass up to answer and it’d just be nothing. Had Dan and his boys came out, poke at the phone lines. Said everything was fine. But now, it’s different. Hissing, voices. Numbers. Just.. a man saying numbers, you know, like he’s counting lottery or something.


I won’t lie and say I ain’t been having the damndest dreams myself. 


Still think it’s all Sputnik, Al?



Shut it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Cadillac

  ”Please keep all hands and in feet inside the ride at all times! Please do not—“ Conrad and Lucy didn’t pay any attention. The Time Cadillac ride always started the same way. And they were too busy all over each other, submerged as deep in youthful needs as the Cadillac was submerged in deep time.  Conrad was already kissing Lucy again, breathless and with too much saliva as the slick, black car slowly rolled over a desolate landscape that would’ve fit Hell or the airless Moon than Earth. Lucy ran her hands through her boyfriends short, combed brown hair, feeling the car lurch a little. Far away came lightning flashing beneath cataclysmic looking clouds all purple, bruised, and furious looking. She glimpsed jagged landscape burbling,  saw the eerie monoliths of volcanic happenstance which poured streamers of superheated gases into impossibly thin air. For a full ten minutes they rode over different variations: fire, ice, black blistering sands— even a sea bottom, flat a...

The Tall Grass

 Evan sat in the car and looked out into the tall grass.  The dinosaurs were out there . Up and out over the prairie was a vision of ragnarok, all tall clouds black and bruised purple painted by pinkish sunlight as dusk became night. Shadows grew long in the grass and Evan strained looking into it all, eager for a sighting. Even without seeing a thing for nearly thirty minutes— the thrill was there, he could feel it, ancient mammalian fear mixing with modern excitement.  The dinosaurs were out there! Motion, and Evan as well as his fellows in the car instantly turned, making the Jeep rock slightly. It was one of the guides, a tall and lethe woman with dark skin— she was standing. Gazing out to the left off into swaying, pink-tinted grass. Everyone seemed to hold their breath.  She whistled then— or something like a whistle came out— long and thin sounding and oddly metallic. It echoed out into oncoming twilight.  Silence.  The guide looked back at everyone ...

The Dead Sea

 The parched voice calls out from the dark. It caries cracked, wizened words half lost in the desert wind like forgotten tombstones. I do not speak the language being spoken and so I let the words be dragged away into a night by the wind. Someone lies there as I pass. A skeletal thing that the dead might make to mimic the living. Corpse is generous. The thin body is almost just a sketch of limbs, of taut skin pulled over worthless bones, wind-blasted into living mummification by god only knew however many years adrift in the wastes.  They speak again, louder this time. Yet the words are snatched up by an even fiercer gust. I do not look to their hollow, cratered face. I do not care for the sunken eyes that are black as little pools of night. I leave them. Following nothing.  Sand and rock are omnipresent. They are the meaning of this place, the reason. In the dark of the night I weave between huge, wide-backed dunes. In the dark of the night I pass beneath stone spires so...