Skip to main content

False Daybreak on I-90

 Millions of cars. Tens of millions. The number seems impossible, inflated beyond belief like how ancient lost history turned battles between men into battles between his gods. But, it’s true. Tens of millions of these wretched, silent corpses litter the roads and fill the shallow off-side creek beds, all lying still. All silent. All of them memories of a time long vanished. Even the word, car, for these husks sounds funny. A made up thing for a made up people and their dreamlike lives. 


It’s four in the morning, everything still cloaked in purplish darkness as those first tendrils of summer dawn prickle far away. I watch those subtle shades glow, study the prickling outlines of this world come into focus like an artist sketching refines his piece. Realer and realer. Light a cigarette with its satisfying thunking click, the fire dancing vibrant and beautiful and old, so very old. The first triumph of humanity. 


The carcasses of countless cars are around me. It feels like being in a mass grave from some bygone era as moss creeps across the peeling, rusting skins and little colorful birds make nests on so many rotten leather seats. Ashton is another days walk across this road, and yet people once made the journey in hours. Belching metal monsters glittering in the hot summer sun across immaculate black tarmac. I chuckle at the impossibility of it all, the absurdity that these fleets were once anything other than obstacles to navigate around. 


But, I know the truth. I know the sad weight they represent of a dead, almost-vanished past. Over the horizon from the direction I’ve come emerges light— but not dawn, something silent and red, sweeping searchlight beams over the landscape with the deliberation of a predator seeking prey. 


The ships came, and in return, darkness returned to the world. Absolute. I have no context for the words my father spoke, the things that smoked and crashed: computers, modems, cellphones, transformers. Just the truth of a silent world that knows only light from four places: the Moon, the Sun, the Stars— and Them. 


Red light sweeps my way across a nearby lane, and in silence, I make my way into the shadows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something Growing In My Basement

Something is growing in my basement.  Plump and bold red mushrooms coat the stairs like little crimson forests, and through what little light remains I can see their spores drifting. It’s damp, humid.  When it sighs the whole house shakes, my windows rattling by a wind not from outside but *below*.  I dream of horns, black and curving and many, like bony branches thrust up out of the dirt. Crisscrossed by red roots.  The mailman throws my packages, hurls my newspaper. My neighbors eye me and my home like it’s something mad, something hungry, and when I finally sit at the table to read I can’t help but feel that the floor is sinking under my feet. Listing into swallowing earth.  I know soon I’ll wake up, stiff, entombed by so many blood-colored caps. Tenacious roots spilling over me. The thing in my basement will speak instead of sigh and all that rotting wormwood will come down, down, down. And it will be free.

Lepidopterophobia

You are dying.  Doesn’t matter how.  Feels so far away now— doesn’t it?  That’s it. Take it easy. Let that last breath slip away, like the warmth that comes in a killing cold. Gentle into a silent night. No more looking up at those crowding, concerned faces; a herd of pale, pained moons.  - - - - - ___________ A dark tunnel. Familiar, but not. You’re welcome all the same. Hands groping, grasping against glassy coolness, stumbling—  Light.  The most perfect, pure sunlight. Every idealized summer, every perfect candlelight and warming fire, all that condescend sun-sure dances across a lifetime of days. It’s mere existence is the most pristine invitation. In illumination alone it says come closer . If you had a heartbeat it would be racing.  Up. Up. Forward. Scuffing, almost tripping. Surging forward, hands outstretched.  You’re here.  The Light. The Light   It’s so— wrong . It’s purity vanished, replaced with an organic and oily sheen. Like firefly glows made rotten, morphed in the shape

Betty and the Storm

 Betty takes a mercifully long drag on her All-American Stag , feeling the Kansas breeze. It’s a beautiful summer day with big sky country blueness everywhere and only faint, grey-streaked clouds far off on the horizon. Betty loves prairie storms, how they turn her world into blues and blacks cut ragged by hungry lightning. That familiar, lovely earthy smell that lingers even after the clouds have gone southward, down to the more welcomingly humid gulf.  A bit of incoming stormy wind snaps at the clothes on the line and Betty stands sighing and a halfway laconic smile, feeling long hours of chore caused aches lessening with each puff of the Stag . Reaching out a hand to fix one of Teddy’s work shirts, Betty unclips it, hoping to smooth the wrinkles with an absent hand as she turns again to watch the storm roll in.  When Betty sees it, it’s almost slippery in her vision. Like she’s got something in her jade green eyes, something that makes focus hard and dizzying. Betty squints. Scrunch